This strategy provides funding for trained personnel who outreach and provide services to at-risk youth and young adults both after and in school, including counseling, employment training, academic support, mentoring, and other support to keep kids in school.
Oakland Unite contact: Mark Henderson
Juvenile Justice Center Wraparound focuses on case management, mentoring and advocacy for youth leaving the Alameda County Juvenile Justice Center (JJC) and reconnecting with Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) or other educational institutions.
Referrals are through the JJC Manager:
phone: (510) 667-7488
address: Transition Center, 2500 Fairmont Drive, San Leandro
- East Bay Asian Youth Center (EBAYC) – Gianna Tran
- Motivating, Inspiring, Supporting and Serving Sexually Exploited Youth (MISSSEY) – Venus Rodriguez
- OUSD Alternative Education – Shirley Yee
- The Mentoring Center (TMC) – Celsa Snead
- Youth ALIVE! - John Torres
- Youth UpRising – Ali Knight
Restorative Justice trains staff who work with school age youth and community members to use restorative principles and practices when resolving conflict.
Youth Employment helps high-risk youth acquire skills and make a small income through afterschool and summer employment programs.
- The Unity Council – Rocio Perez
- Youth Employment Partnership Inc. (YEP) – Michele Clark
- Youth Radio – Teresa Chin
- Youth UpRising – Dyese Hunt
Gang Prevention provides services and case management to gang involved youth at Oakland public Alternative Schools and parent education classes to school parents.
Our Kids/Our Families Middle School Model provides school-based violence prevention and behavioral health services in thirteen (13) Oakland public middle schools. (Please ask middle school resource staff about their Our Kids program).